 Robotics / Handy Board / 7082
Re: HandyBoard Charging
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 15:32:51 GMT

Danny,

Since you imply that your battery does not take any charge at all, it
sounds to me as though your problem is:
(1) fuse F1 is open, or
(2) a cell in your battery pack is open, or
(3) one of the battery wires or its associated PCB land is open.

The charge LEDs light when there is current through them ... and with
the HB power switch off, the only current is the battery charging
current.  Take a look at your HB Tech. Ref. pg 51 (fig. 9.6) and
pg. 52 (fig. 9.8).

At the upper left corner of the HB, above and between the power
switch and the speaker, there are two solder pads ... a square one
with a "-" above it (the negative side of the battery) and a round
one with a "+" above it (the positive side of the battery).  Check
for voltage at these pads with the charger plugged in ... if there
is 0V, then F1 is open.  If there is about +10V at those pads
when the charger is plugged in, but 0V without the charger, then
the battery or its wires are bad.

Let us know how it goes.

Good luck,
- Nick -

"Fred G. Martin" wrote:

ok, you have the stock adapter.

like i said, sometimes the batt does get fully charged and then not
enough current flows in trickle-charge to light the LED.

but that's normal, so it doesn't sound like there is actually a
problem.

a simple way to test the batt is do a run-down test.  just leave the
board on and see how long the batt lasts.  you should get approx 10
hours with the board sitting there doing nothing (just the Interactive
C heart beating).

fred

In your message you said:
Well I bought an assembled board from Gleason Research and I've been using th • e
DC adapter that came with the board. The charging leds light up only when the
Handyboard on?  Is there something special I need to do to run the board on
batteries?  Is there a way I can test the batteries?

lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Fred G. Martin writes:
do you have the recommended 12v, 500 ma DC adapter?

if not, that explains it.

if so, sometimes when the batt is fully charged, you don't get much in
trickle charge mode and the light is off.  but usually you should see
the light being lit dimly.

are you having problems with your battery holding a charge?

fred

In your message you said:
In the Handyboard manual it says when charging in trickle mode you should • tur
the Handyboard off, however when I do try and turn the Handyboard off the
charge light on the serial/charger board goes off?  Is the board still bei • ng
charged or is there a problem?

The same problem occurs when I charge the Handyboard directly.  If the pow • er
switch is turned on the charge light(LED) is on however when it's turn off • th
charge light goes off? What's the problem?

When the batteries are charged should the board be able to run withought a • n
external power supply?

Any information would be great!!!