 Robotics / Handy Board / 6865
Re: IR proximity detectors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 04:33:50 GMT

Andrew - -

Take a look at Dennis' IRPD ... it uses a 12C508, 2 IR LEDs and a
Sharp detector ... works great with the HandyBoard and off loads
much of the processing to the PIC.

If you want to do it with the HB, then do a search on IRPD and you'll
find a ton of info.

Good luck,
- Nick -

Andrew Walker wrote:

  I'm trying to set up either one or preferably two near infra red proximity
detectors. I'm wondering whether the sharp IS1U60L component mounted on the
handy-board is suitable for this type of application.
  We managed to make it work recieving codes from a sony remote, but are having
problems using LED's to  emit a signal. As far as I know, I have to emit a
short pulse, and then wait until the detector registers a return signal and the
time difference will be proportional to the distance.
  Software drivers/locations and hardware details suitable for this application
would be much appreciated.

  Thank you in advance,
      Andrew Walker