 Robotics / Handy Board / 6867
Re: IR proximity detectors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 09:55:05 GMT

you won't be able to easily) get distance measures with standard IR comms
parts (such as the IS1u60).  light travels too fast for the time delay
betw xmit and rcv to tell you anything.

as a proximity sensor, all you get is a yes/no reading.  if you have a
well-aimed part, you might be able to use a pair to detect close/far.

for distance, use a specialized distance sensor like the sharp
GP2d02.  info is at www.acroname.com.

fred

In your message you said:
  I'm trying to set up either one or preferably two near infra red proximity
detectors. I'm wondering whether the sharp IS1U60L component mounted on the
handy-board is suitable for this type of application.
  We managed to make it work recieving codes from a sony remote, but are havi • ng
problems using LED's to  emit a signal. As far as I know, I have to emit a
short pulse, and then wait until the detector registers a return signal and t • he
time difference will be proportional to the distance.
  Software drivers/locations and hardware details suitable for this applicati • on
would be much appreciated.

  Thank you in advance,
      Andrew Walker