 Robotics / Handy Board / 6570
Re: IR sensors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 00:12:21 GMT

To blink LEDs at 40khz, you could try using the 555 timer. Radio Shack
carries the 555 timer chip, a little booklet explaining how to
use it, and any external components you need.

In addition to the 555 chip, you'll just need three resistors and a
capacitor to drive that LED. (You will probably not need
an external transistor, the 555 chip can output 200mA or up to 600mA,
depending on whether or not it is a lower power version or not.)

One warning:  You can operate the 555 chip at a variety of voltages, but
you should make sure not to exceed the recommended voltage and current
limit for the LED.

If V_in is the voltage you use to operate the 555 chip, you should wire
a resistor with resistance R_series in series with the LED before
connecting to the output of the 555 timer chip, given the LED's rated
voltage is V_led and rated current, I_LED:

R_series * I_LED + V_led = V_in

Solving for R_series:

R_series = (V_in - V_led ) / I_LED

If you'd like more detailed plans, I could scribble something up, but the
booklet is worth getting anyway, since you'll need to get the 555 chip and
a few components anyway.

I hope this is helpful..

-Hide