 Robotics / Handy Board / 6571
Re: EE RF question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 02:48:10 GMT

Pherd,

It sounds as though he is planning on patching the output of a RF
transmitter to the input of a RF receiver.

73's,

Jose

-----Original Message-----
From: FThompson9@aol.com <FThompson9@aol.com>
To: handyboard@media.mit.edu <handyboard@media.mit.edu>
Date: Tuesday, August 03, 1999 7:41 PM
Subject: Re: EE RF question

In a message dated 8/2/99 7:38:41 PM Central Daylight Time, mar@cooper.edu
writes:

If you have an RF Transmitter and Receiver with Antennas, can you detach
the antennas and just connect a co-ax cable between them?  I'm guessing
this would reduce the noise and interferance to a minumum.  Is this • right?

I'm not to clear on what you are describing here.  Generally speaking I • would
say yes, you can slap a piece of coax in without too much loss of function.
But you really need to know what type of antenna your feeding, the radio's
frequency, the impedance expected at the terminal by the
transmitter/receiver.  If you wish to read up on it, I suggest going to • your
local library and finding a book call "The 19xx ARRL Handbook for radio
amateurs" (where xx is the year of your choice).  This book gives you • enough
information to design your own radios and antennas.
   If the antennas in questions are just "rubber ducks" (short whip
antennas), I wouldn't worry too much about the feeding system.  Just about
any antenna system is better than a rubber duck.  The ones that I have seen
are just resistors with slightly longer than normal feed lines.  Yet these
tiny devices can be found on a large number of radios communicating over • long
distances.

Hope this helps,
Pherd