 Robotics / Handy Board / 645
Re: piggyback pentium/powerPC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 1996 14:17:06 GMT

- a small low-power pentium/powerPC with min 32MB RAM
   and a pair of serial communications ports

Pentium and low power can hardly be used in the same sentence.

- preferably it would share a battery with the handyboard

The small and low-power are important.  Ideally I would like to find a
board not much bigger than the handy board.  Thanks for any pointers
you can give me.

If someone wants to design a piggyback 32 bit machine for the handy
board, I will suggest the 68360.  It is really powerful, and has all
the glue logic in it for several megs of DRAM (cheap), and lots of
serial IO, including (the glue logic remember) ethernet.

The GCC compiler works with it, and I have head the BDM (background
debug mode) is now working with GDB.  Sounds like the ideal
environment for vision, and other serious sensor IO for a robot.

--
tgb@bnr.com