 Robotics / Handy Board / 6367
Re: Battery options?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 19:57:25 GMT

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Steve Wall wrote:

I was wondering what are my options for the HB battery.  Would it be
possible for me to get 2 battery holders each carrying 4 cells each
and fill them with regular NiCad cells say, The one's they have at
radio shack? Would this be a viable options to the NiCad pack that
the parts list specifies, This component is quite costly to order to
canada. Has anybody else done such a thing?

Should work fine.  If you use the "Zap" charge mode, make sure the
NiCad's are designed to work on fast charging.  Some are, some aren't.

Also, make sure you buy them and dispose of them as a set.  If you
start mixing and matching NiCad's, you'll often end up shorting the
ones that are of less capacity (less capacity due to age, number of
charge/discharge cycles, etc).

Be careful about putting alkaline's in by mistake.  You might have
leakage, outgassing, or possibly a battery explosion if you try to
run the charger on them, and the voltage is higher out of an alkaline
cell than a NiCad as well.

Curt Mills, WE7U                         hacker.NO_*SPAM@tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin
"Lotto:    A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown
"Windows:  Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates." -- WE7U