 Robotics / Handy Board / 6331
Re: Ranging techniques
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 00:23:33 GMT

Mike Jones wrote:

Why not just use a table of the 18 averaged values for lookup and then estimate
in between the inch measurements. This would be faster than trying to to any
floating point math as long as you don't need too precise of a value (I would
think that 1/2 or 1/4 inch should be as accurate as you would need).

Mike

Yes, this is the method we used along after hacking up a cubic approximation using
Graphical Analysis.  The lookup table is plenty accurate and also demonstrates that

some problems are best solved using nothing more than a ruler and a few  spare
minutes.  The cubic was really no more accurate for our purposes.  It isn't elegant
but it got us through
the maze at the Trinity Firefighting contest.

John Vaughn
Hobart & William Smith Colleges
vaughn@hws.edu