 Robotics / Handy Board / 6192
Re: charger
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 01:29:22 GMT

FRED MARTIN wrote:

I have an old 'wall wart' lying around. It has a rating of (12 vdc 1 amp
output).
i was wondering if i can use it on the handy board. the specs i read about
the handy board call for a 12v 500mAmp output. any response would be
appreciated.

I'm relying on non-handyboard experience here, but I'm going to assume
that's too much. One amp is a heavy load, and although there's a 5v
regulator on the circuit, I'd guess that it's not rated for 1 amp (it
may just run hot) and might not be able to knock it down enough for the
logic circuits (mostly 50mAmp).

On the brighter side, it would probably be fairly simple to make a very
small circuit that could be taped to the transformer to knock down the
current. You could basically displace it as heat. Search some of the
larger circuit databases for a power supply circuit, or make it up from
the resistance law.

Jonathan Pennington
-Anthropologist/Geologist
-Linux User and Advocate
-Bug Eater on an '83 V45 Magna "Dark Side"
    and a '71 Triumph Bonnie "Pieces"
Email at jwp(at)awod.com

"Where are we going?
And why are we in this handbasket?