 Robotics / Handy Board / 6179
Re: PURCHASE IN MIAMI OR BOSTON
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 11:46:30 GMT

This is surpassing, I purchased from Mr Hui.
No problems getting it except it sat in customs
longer than it took to transport 'cos
customs people are idiots.

I then sent the whole thing back after a chip
failed on the serial board. It was fixed and returned
in next to no time.

Regan.

www.users.bigpond.net.au/rrussell
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hub/8443/
rrussell@c2.telstra-mm.net.au

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter <babylongod@usa.net>
To: Bob_Kelly/First_Union@firstunion-reit.com
<Bob_Kelly/First_Union@firstunion-reit.com>
Cc: HANDYBOARD@MEDIA.MIT.EDU <HANDYBOARD@MEDIA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Friday, May 07, 1999 11:04 AM
Subject: Re: PURCHASE IN MIAMI OR BOSTON

Mabey Hui has become better then when I bought mine. But when I bought mine • it
took forever to get here, when I eventually got it the box was it extremely
poor shape.  I sorted all of the parts for assembling the HB and I found • some
of the parts missing!  So I tried to e-mail patrick and tell him with no
response.  And I bought the newton labs IC 3.1 with the kit and I believe • he
only had one key, because it had his name on the key, not my name.  If you • are
buying the software I think your name should be on the key not the person • you
bought it from.
Anyway, gleason researh is closer to boston than hong kong.

-peter

Bob_Kelly/First_Union@firstunion-reit.com wrote:

I too have purchased a Handy board from Patrick Hui and was more than • happy
with the quality of the product. I experienced no difficulties getting it
set up and the accessories included in the package were helpful. The only
difference I am aware of between the Gleason board and the Hui board is • the
choice of motor driver h-bridge ICs (L239 instead of the TI one), the use
of a screwdriver adjustable pot instead of thumb wheel, and the lack of
battery case and batteries. I have found that the differences are not
something to be overly concerned about as you **may** end up discarding • the
battery case, depending on your project, and the TI h-bridge ICs are not
that much of and improvement over the L239s. I did get my expansion board
from Gleason and have had no problems with it either.