 Robotics / Handy Board / 57
56  |  58
Subject:
handy board crisis!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 1996 07:14:57 GMT

Well, let's see.  I was rewiring my handy board so that it would run
on 9.6V again, and everything seemed to be going fine.  I soldered the pack
back on with no problems, and was screwing the board onto its case when
something horrible happened.  The board power light came on!  In a panic, I
quickly unscrewed the board, as I could smell burning semiconductors.  The
board turned back off again.  I then proceeded to look for hot components,
but couldn't find anything - perhaps they had cooled down by that time.  I
then turned the board on, and the battery light is stuck on now!  I have
removed almost all of the chips from the board, but when I turn the board
on, the battery light either stays off and then comes on, or flickers
rapidly.  The chips still on the board are the 68HC11 and memory latch...
If I press the stop button while the board is on, the batt light turns on
all the way.  What happened???  Does anyone have any idea what's wrong?
have I destroyed my handy board?

By the way, the pack reads about 10V, and the memory power and main
board power circuits _seem_ to be working, but I'm not completely sure!

(Argh!!!)