 Robotics / Handy Board / 5646
Re: electronics question please help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 23:42:02 GMT

The modulation frequency of the IR diodes must match the sensor
(depending on exact part number, around 38 KHz) within +/- 3 KHz.  As
you move away from the center frequency, detection drops off sharply.
Are you able to confirm the modulation frequency?
One other problem that I ran into with this same circuit (built using a
PIC as the controller), was the LED itself was at a different wavelength
as the sensor.  I did find that the RS superbright IR LED worked, but
some others did not.  Alot of trial and error.

K.L. McKinnon

Bob Kelly wrote:

Hello all,

I hope there is a simple answer for this...

I have attempted to build the circuit that will allow IR object detection
using the Sharp IR detector module and a pair of "high output" infrared
LEDs. The circuit I built was the one from "Mobile Robots - Inspiration to
Completion, 2nd ed."

The circuit calls for, among other things, a 74HC04 inverter. I obtained all
the components from my local Radio Shack. The Inverter that I got is
actually a 74HCT04 and the IR receiver was the same part number specified
with the exception of a "B" suffix (hopefully to denote vertical mount Vs.
horizontal mount). I implemented a slightly modified version of code to read
the sensor that was based heavily on the info given in the book (I timed the
LED pulse as required).

Obviously, or I wouldn't be asking questions, the thing doesn't work. The
LEDs are working (saw 'em through the video camera) and there is power to
the Detector (yes, I grounded the case). I wired everything painstakingly
per the diagram but I was wondering if it is necessary to supply steady
voltage to the inverter (I have not, and the book didn't tell me to.) I did
ground the inverter however.

Is the supply of voltage to the 74HCT04 assumed in the diagram or is it
likely I left something else out? Also, specific pin assignments for
connection to the inverter were not given so I carefully wired them
according to the pin out detail on the inverter package pin assignments and
symbology. Is the 74HCT04 not interchangeable with the 74HC04?

Are there any other things I should be aware of if trying to implement this
circuit on a Handy Board?

I am new at electronics and I thought this might be a nice "get my feet wet"
starter project. I don't have access to fancy testing equipment so any help
at all would be greatly appreciated. I apologize if this question is a
little on the basic side.

Thanks again,

Bob K.