 Robotics / Handy Board / 5631
Re: electronics question please help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 23:54:43 GMT

At 13:18 2/22/99 , Bob Kelly wrote:
Hello all,

I hope there is a simple answer for this...

I have attempted to build the circuit that will allow IR object detection
using the Sharp IR detector module and a pair of "high output" infrared
LEDs. The circuit I built was the one from "Mobile Robots - Inspiration to
Completion, 2nd ed."

The circuit calls for, among other things, a 74HC04 inverter. I obtained all
the components from my local Radio Shack. The Inverter that I got is
actually a 74HCT04 and the IR receiver was the same part number specified
with the exception of a "B" suffix (hopefully to denote vertical mount Vs.
horizontal mount). I implemented a slightly modified version of code to read
the sensor that was based heavily on the info given in the book (I timed the
LED pulse as required).

Been there, done that! Funny. I bought almost all the same stuff from my local shack. Writting the software was the easy part ;^).

Obviously, or I wouldn't be asking questions, the thing doesn't work. The
LEDs are working (saw 'em through the video camera) and there is power to
the Detector (yes, I grounded the case). I wired everything painstakingly
per the diagram but I was wondering if it is necessary to supply steady
voltage to the inverter (I have not, and the book didn't tell me to.) I did
ground the inverter however.

I've supplied some power to the inverter, yes. I'm assuming it's mandatory to have the inverter actually work. Otherwise how do you expect to invert a zero signal? It need some power from somewhere...

If I remember correctly it took me a while fiddling with the variable resistance before having the receiver getting a signal. I then put some hot glue on it to seal it and I haven't changed it since.

My version is working but is *way* too sensible: it detect an obstacle from at least a couple of meters away ;^). I tried changing the two resistances controlling the LED output to something bigger to limit the current going to the LEDs with no noticable changes in detection range. Any suggestion to get this thing less sensible would be appreciated.

[...]
I am new at electronics and I thought this might be a nice "get my feet wet"
starter project. I don't have access to fancy testing equipment so any help
at all would be greatly appreciated. I apologize if this question is a
little on the basic side.

Hey man, it's not that basic for me. I'm a software guy, so take all my hardware advices with a grain of salt ;^)

-- Eric