 Robotics / Handy Board / 5539
Re: Sonar and RF Modem questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 20:02:35 GMT

On Feb 17,  1:53am, doug@knowpeace.com wrote:
Subject: Sonar and RF Modem questions
HB fans,

A few questions for ya ...

<snip>

     - I have also looked at the Linx Technologies site
       (http://www.linxtechnologies.com/f_modules.html)
       but I'm not sure which module would be the best
       choice for the HB or how difficult it would be
       to interface the module.

I just took a look at the Linx site, and while perusing the fine print
  at the end of the price list came across this:

  "Linx requires the purchase of an evaluation kit prior to the sale of
  individual modules to any customer. This policy insures that each
  customer has the tools necessary to fairly evaluate our products and
  legally apply them. In addition, a benchmark platform amoung all our
  customers allows our engineers the best chance to assist should
  application difficulties occur."

The cheapest evaluation kit is $139 and is only available for the LC
  series. The Master kit is $199 for the LC series, $249 for the RM
  series, and $299 for the HP series. All the evaluation kits come
  with 2 TX, 2 RX, 2 antennas, plus manuals, evaluation boards, free
  technical support, and some extras in the master kits.

So even though the LC only costs $5.60 for the TX and $11.80 for the
  RX, you have to spend $139 to get your first 2 pair. The RM series
  is $16.20 for the TX and $28.30 for the RX, but you have to pay $249
  to get your first two pair. The HP runs $23.80 and $34.88, but you
  pay $299 for the first two pair.

This makes them a bit less attractive to a hobbyist like myself.
  A shame, since they look useful and pretty reasonably priced, except
  for the evaluation kit requirement.

  Keith