 Robotics / Handy Board / 5529
Re: Sonar and RF Modem questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 14:26:45 GMT

1) Is everybody adding the 100uf 16 volt capacitor to prevent
  power dips (per http://www.robotics.com/arobot/sonar.html)?
  I have to wonder why wirz doesn't ship the boards with
  this peice or even recommend it on their web site or in
  their documentation. Any opinions would be appreciated.

I am using the expander board, and no, I don't have any extra caps.

2) I like the "cap" around the transducer as illustrated in
  this picture of the "RadStamp"

    http://www.milinst.demon.co.uk/radar.htm

  Does anyone know where I can get such a cap, or what
  other (plumbing?) materials you are using?

It looks like a PVC coupler, maybe cut in half.  Could be an end cap,
but then there would have to be foam inside to prevent ringing. These
can be purchased at many hardware and most home care stores.

3) I also like how the RadStamp attaches the transducer to
  a stepper motor. Any recommendations on an appropriate
  motor for such an application, to be driven by the
  HB expansion servo control outputs? Would a standard
  R/C servo work for this, or do I need a special stepper
  motor (or is there a difference in these terms).

I have mine on a servo.  If you look on this page (second picture
down), you can almost tell.  Look for where the white ribbon cable
goes.

   <http://www.webconn.com/tcrobots/oct1997/oct1997.html>

On my robot, The sonar cannot turn 360degrees, so having it scan 90 in
front works well.