 Robotics / Handy Board / 5532
Re: Sonar and RF Modem questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 16:18:30 GMT

doug@knowpeace.com wrote:

<snip>
1) Is everybody adding the 100uf 16 volt capacitor to prevent
   power dips (per http://www.robotics.com/arobot/sonar.html)?
I've heard that the 100uF cap isn't needed when using the HB's
standard battery source ... but since I was soldering on the
Polaroid board anyway, I decided that it wouldn't hurt to add
it.  Do be *sure* to add the 0.1 uF cap at C7 as per:
http://el.www.media.mit.edu/projects/handy-board/software/sonar.html
<snip>

2) I like the "cap" around the transducer as illustrated in
   this picture of the "RadStamp"
Since most of my constructions are LEGO based, I attached my
transducer to a LEGO 40-tooth gear using a couple of dabs of
rubber cement.
<snip>

3) I also like how the RadStamp attaches the transducer to
   a stepper motor. Any recommendations on an appropriate
   motor for such an application, to be driven by the
   HB expansion servo control outputs?
I've got mine mounted on a servo on my BASIC Stamp test 'bot,
and intend keeping the same setup when it moves over to the
HandyBoard.
<snip>

4) I want to hook up RF transcievers to the handy board
   and my laptop for wireless RS232 comms.
My RF linking hasn't gotten past the pencil/paper stage yet,
but here is another option:
http://www.dvp.com/

Most all of my sonar efforts so far have been directed toward
software solutions for filtering out unwanted cross-talk.  The
next step will be to add one (or three) transducers to the
single 6500 board.

Enjoy,
- - - Nick - - -