 Robotics / Handy Board / 5302
Re: Handyboard and iMac
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 21:05:42 GMT

way back randy did have it running on NeXT, before NeXTSTEP.  the unix
sources are pretty clean; probably the only tricky part would be the
serial line access.

fred

In your message you said:

Hi all,

Do you remember me asking if the HandyBoard was working on an iMac with an US • B/Serial adapter?

Well, all the USB/Serial adapters have been back ordered for the last 4 month
s, so I was unable to find or try any of them ;^(. But I bought an iPort for $6
0 at my local Fry's (for more info in iPort see http://www.griffintechnology.co
m/), installed it inside my iMac, plugged my HB in it, fired up IC and it just
worked.

The iPort is not for the faint of heart: you have to disassemble your iMac in
order to remove the motherboard and put the iPort under it in the really tight
case. But hey, it worked and I can now ditch this crappy PC of mine...

On a completely different subject: has somebody compiled the freeware version
of IC for NeXTSTEP? I have a cube and a station at home, and I was wondering i
f somebody ever tried this hardware with IC?

-- Eric