 Robotics / Handy Board / 4852
Re: HandyBoard and iMac?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 13:32:07 GMT

hi eric,

i haven't tried any of these products, but they *should* work.  the
mac hb software uses low level driver calls, so if that stuff is
patched and translated to usb, it would work.

but if i were you i'd get one and try it on an existing machine before
buying one.  please let us know the result.  thanks.

fred

In your message you said:

I'm replacing my aging home PC with an iMac (look at my email address: I can
get one dirt cheap!) and I'm wondering if I can use it to pilot my trusty Handy
Board. Anybody have any experience in this area? I'd like to throw away the PC.
..

The iMac has no serial port, only USB connectivity but there is third party U
SB to Serial connectors available (http://www.keyspan.com/products/USB/adapter,
  http://www.momentuminc.net/products/uConnect.html or http://www.griffintechno
logy.com/imac/iport.html). I just like to know if anybody ever tried one of tho
se thing. Or if there is any plan to upgrade the handyBoad to USB ;^)

-- Eric