 Robotics / Handy Board / 475
Re: Yup, it works.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 1996 20:25:32 GMT

I had a horrible time with the LEDs. The instructions weren't clear
until I read them about three times. About 3 of my LEDs were in
backwards. [Note to potential kit builders, the Radio Shack $8.99
desoldering iron is worth its weight in gold! Especially when you
want to do this type of rework]

I really tried hard to make this clear -- can you explain the
difficulty you had?

Editorial alert: There is a typo in the instructions for building
the interface board that claims you want to use the tantalum caps
for it, you want to use the electrolyic 4.7uf caps. This isn't a
big deal since the silkscreen makes this obvious.

Yup, you are right.  You are either the first person to notice this,
or the first to report it!

Also the serial
test didn't work, (testing voltages on the serial port) since the
voltage at pin 2 was -10v, but the voltage at pin 6 (10v) worked
fine to illuminate the LED. This could be due to the serial LED
being reversed.

Quiescent RS-232 levels are -10v, so the minus voltage *should*
illuminate the LED.

I really, really, want more I/O on this thing. In particular digital
outputs.

Noted.

Nice build manual with pictures. It would be really nice if all of
the pages were packaged into a single tar file I could download and
read "offline". That way I wouldn't have to stay dialed up to work.

How about a PDF file?  See

  http://el.www.media.mit.edu/groups/el/projects/handy-board/techdocs/

Also, the entire HB website is periodically tarred up and available as

  ftp://cherupakha.media.mit.edu/pub/projects/handy-board/hbwww.tar.gz

Finally, I couldn't find the source to hbdl.exe and dlm.exe didn't
work so I assume there are differences. Is the boot protocol (sans
hardware echo) the same? If so is there a copy of bootladr.asm
that I can use or should I re-use the one I have for the miniboard?
I really need to have this up on my pentium since the lap top is
not available at all times.

DLM source is at

  ftp://cherupakha.media.mit.edu/pub/projects/miniboard/dlm

I didn't write HBDL, so I can't speak for the author regarding the
source.

Keep in touch...

-Fred