 Robotics / Handy Board / 476
475  |  477
Subject:
Adapting the LMD18200
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 1996 20:38:01 GMT

Over the weekend I decided to use the LMD18200 H-Bridge devices for a
larger robot I am building.

What I did was simply remove the L293 chip and replace it with a 16pin
header and some rainbow ribbon cable.

Before you decide this is for you, here are the pros and cons (as they
came to me).

  pro                                con
-----                              -----
Higher current motor control      Minimum 12V to motors
                                  Portability goes away
Probably need a heatsink          Larger robot required
                                  Expensive (~$18 ea).

The LM18200 is a really nice H-Bridge chip.  Digi-Key lists them for
about $18, but they can be had cheaper.  They seem quite robost, I
managed to short both digital inputs to a motor output (while the
motor was running) and nothing was damaged (handyboard, motor chip,
etc).

National has a datasheet in PDF format for this at:
    http://199.2.26.194/pf/LM/LMD18200.html#datasheet

I looked at the schematic and found the L293's really only use 2 pins
for input.  For motor 3, it is pins 1 and 2, and for motor 2 it is
pins 9 and 10.

         ------
        /|    |-----
       / |    |---------- Motor
      /  | LM |-----
     /   |182 |-----
    /    | 00 |--------GND (motor and signal)
    | *  |    |--------motor power (12-55V)
    \    |    |--------hb pin 2
     \   |    |----- gnd (brake)
      \  |    |--------hb pin 1
       \ |    |---------- Motor
        \|pin1|-----
         ------

Pins 2 and 10 connect directly to the motor.  Pin 3 is pwm, which is
compatible with handy board pwm output.  Pin 4 is a brake, and could
be connected to the handy board using one of the digital inputs, but
I decided to not use it.  pin 5 is direction which is compatible with
the direction output on the handy board.  Pin 6 is motor power, you
should make all your needs available here.  Pin 7 is ground, signal
and motor power.  Pin 8 is a current sense that might be useful into
an A/D port (properly scaled of course), and Pin 9 is a thermal flag
that could set off an interrupt or other digital input.

I have successfully got this working on a pair of motors, and the
different IC motor control values continue to work.

--
tgb@bnr.com