 Robotics / Handy Board / 4706
Re: Monitoring household power consumption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 03:59:44 GMT

At 09:47 PM 11/10/98 -0500, you wrote:
In the interest of reducing my reliance on the commercial power grid for my
home's electrical power requirements I want to consider switching to more • energy
efficient devices and to at least partial solar power or other alternative • power
sources.

To make the proper decisions I am hoping to be able to use my HandyBoard to
monitor my total home power consumption in real time, and transmit the • results
to my PC for further processing.  This would allow me to both measure the • true
power consumption of individual appliances (by turning them on and off in a
controlled manner) and to get more general power consumption graphs • showing the
peaks and valleys of my consumption throughout a day, week, month, or year.

I'm a software expert so I have no problems there, but I could use some help
from you hardware and electronic experts...

How can I actually monitor the true 120V AC power usage in a home running a
furnace, dishwasher, lights, and TV etc.?

One way I figure might be to install a sensor on the front of the glass of • the
electricty meter to detect that little black band on the disc that spins • round
and round, but that would have to be a pretty darned good sensor, no?
Right. If you're trying to do that, good luck!!! If I ABSOLUTELY had to do
that, I would try to use the reflectance of the disk. On the black spot I
would read zero. But it would be waaaay too much trouble.

Another way might be to do something similiar to whatever it is that the
electric company does to measure the power, but I have no idea what that • is so I
don't how to do that either.

Well the idea of putting a tore with some wire is one of my favorite idea.
Problems are:

1. the voltage output would have to be converted to DC throught a diode and
smoothed with some capacitors

2. the diode has some voltage drop, which you must take in consideration if
you want to take precise mesurements. If your goal is to get an overall
picture of your consumption, then if you read 0 with the handyboard, your
appliance may be completely off or using few amps (a CD player turned off
can still use 8 watts!)

3. if i had to do this, I would like to isolate the low voltage section and
the high voltage section... If something had to happen, I don't want my
handyboard to get fried.. maybe using some 1/8 fuses or less?

4. What the insurances would say if they knew you played around with your
electrical panel? ;) Do you have an electrician license?

5. Considering all this trouble, I think I prefer buying an amprobe and
keep my handyboard for controlling a stepper motor mounted on my vertical
stores =)

Cya!

|  Remi Desrosiers
| "My Youth in Arcadia"       ICQ# 7228856
|  harlock@videotron.ca
.  remi.desrosiers@polymtl.ca
.
.