 Robotics / Handy Board / 4700
4699  |  4701
Subject:
Monitoring household power consumption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 02:47:15 GMT

In the interest of reducing my reliance on the commercial power grid for my
home's electrical power requirements I want to consider switching to more energy
efficient devices and to at least partial solar power or other alternative power
sources.

To make the proper decisions I am hoping to be able to use my HandyBoard to
monitor my total home power consumption in real time, and transmit the results
to my PC for further processing.  This would allow me to both measure the true
power consumption of individual appliances (by turning them on and off in a
controlled manner) and to get more general power consumption graphs showing the
peaks and valleys of my consumption throughout a day, week, month, or year.

I'm a software expert so I have no problems there, but I could use some help
from you hardware and electronic experts...

How can I actually monitor the true 120V AC power usage in a home running a
furnace, dishwasher, lights, and TV etc.?

One way I figure might be to install a sensor on the front of the glass of the
electricty meter to detect that little black band on the disc that spins round
and round, but that would have to be a pretty darned good sensor, no?

Another way might be to do something similiar to whatever it is that the
electric company does to measure the power, but I have no idea what that is so I
don't how to do that either.

Any suggestions friends?