 Robotics / Handy Board / 4671
Re: Science Interest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 15:51:19 GMT

Dear Capt. Rutledge,

Your ideas sound very interesting! May I suggest that you join the
following mailing list. It's a hotbed for this sort of discussion:

http://lcs.www.media.mit.edu/groups/el/projects/handy-board/maillist/index.html

Dear Professor Berg,

I came across your page while searching for some information on the LEGO
Mindstorm product I want to buy my niece.  I wanted to ask for some help
on something I’m interested in.

I’ve worked both as a Professional Firefighter and Pilot.  I am
interested in applying technology to firefighting.  To fight a
structural fire pumpers need to find and connect to a fire hydrant.
Knowing the location of the hydrant in relation to he fire building can
be difficult at times.

My idea is to combine GPS and computer technology by building an
inexpensive hydrant finder.  A GPS receiver could determine the pumpers
exact location, then search a database for the closest waypoint
(hydrant) near the pumper.  A needle could swing to determine relative
bearing and distance.

I think all the technology exists today I’m just not sure how to go
about putting it all together.  Do you have any ideas or thoughts you
could pass along to me about this?  Thanks.

Captain Jack Rutledge
404-715-7331

Robbie Berg
Department of Physics, Wellesley College
(781)-283-3110 (voice)
(781)-283-3642 (FAX)
Home Page: www.wellesley.edu/Physics/Rberg