 Robotics / Handy Board / 4679
Re: Science Interest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 19:28:29 GMT

Robbie Berg and Capt. Jack Rutledge:

I'm a big fan of the Handy Board, but you might want to also consider using a
3Com
PalmPilot.  The current model, Palm III, has a backlit 160x160 graphics display,
2MByte memory, and while I haven't used it, there is a company that makes a GPS
for
it.  I know that there are numerous real time mapping products out there already
that use the PalmPilot.

It sounds like your database of  "waypoints" would consist primarily of  a list
of
X,Y coordinates, and be limited in area, so I would think that a database on the
order of a few 100,000 waypoints could be stored in a Palm III.  And if you need
more memory there are lots of other handheld computers out there with graphics
displays.

Since you are a pilot I'm sure you are familiar with GPS technology, but if
you've
never used one for ground based applications you might want to also research
"differential" GPS.  I would think that finding a hydrant hidden in some bushes
might require some very good resolution.  I've used GPS for hiking and for
mapping
the location of trees and plants, so I know that the real world performance of
*low
cost* GPS units on the ground can be very poor.  Some of the toughest places for
GPS to perform are in hilly, heavily forested terrain, but also in metropolitan
areas with tall buildings and lots of potential noise sources.

If you're interested check out these websites:

    http://www.palm.com/home.html

    http://www.delorme.com/

Later,

    Rick

Your ideas sound very interesting! May I suggest that you join the
following mailing list. It's a hotbed for this sort of discussion:

http://lcs.www.media.mit.edu/groups/el/projects/handy-board/maillist/index.html

Dear Professor Berg,

I came across your page while searching for some information on the LEGO
Mindstorm product I want to buy my niece.  I wanted to ask for some help
on something I’m interested in.

I’ve worked both as a Professional Firefighter and Pilot.  I am
interested in applying technology to firefighting.  To fight a
structural fire pumpers need to find and connect to a fire hydrant.
Knowing the location of the hydrant in relation to he fire building can
be difficult at times.

My idea is to combine GPS and computer technology by building an
inexpensive hydrant finder.  A GPS receiver could determine the pumpers
exact location, then search a database for the closest waypoint
(hydrant) near the pumper.  A needle could swing to determine relative
bearing and distance.

I think all the technology exists today I’m just not sure how to go
about putting it all together.  Do you have any ideas or thoughts you
could pass along to me about this?  Thanks.

Captain Jack Rutledge
404-715-7331