 Robotics / Handy Board / 4526
  waterproof seals (a bit OT)

I'm interested in building an underwater ROV and am wondering if anyone has any insight on buiding waterproof seals for the motors.(I'd like to eventually be able to go down 200 ft or so). I realize this is a bit off topic but hope that someone may (...) (26 years ago, 16-Oct-98, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: waterproof seals (a bit OT)

(...) 200ft is about 7 ATM, roughly 103psi. Your're gonna need some really mean seals, and some serious current to turn motors within those seals. Lots more current than the 293's can handle. Probably easier to do what the big ROV's use. Take (...) (26 years ago, 16-Oct-98, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  RE: waterproof seals (a bit OT)

Mathew, I dont know if they would handle 103 psi but the drive shafts used in RC boats are sealed where they go through the bottom of the boat. If you put your motor in a sealed enclosure with the shaft coming into the enclosure you may be able to (...) (26 years ago, 17-Oct-98, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)