 Robotics / Handy Board / 4527
Re: waterproof seals (a bit OT)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 15:08:00 GMT

I'm interested in building an underwater ROV and am wondering if anyone
has any insight on buiding waterproof seals for the motors.(I'd like to
eventually be able to go down 200 ft or so).

200ft is about 7 ATM, roughly 103psi.  Your're gonna need some really
mean seals, and some serious current to turn motors within those
seals. Lots more current than the 293's can handle.

Probably easier to do what the big ROV's use.   Take something like a
stepper motor, and fill it with mineral oil.  Seal it in a case to
minimize (note, not prevent) the water from displacing the oil.  Make
it easy to change the oil on a regular basis, this is important.

For just playing in a swimming pool, maybe just use some cheap motors
and let 'em get wet.  No one will get electrocuted, and the motors
will last several hundred hours without anything special (I have done
it, and never had any trouble).  After a couple months sitting on the
shelf the motors will rust, that is why I say cheap motors, all you do
is replace 'em after they get stiff.  I little silicone spray
lubricant before each dive will help things last a little longer.
This is a good excersize for bouyancy work.