 Robotics / Handy Board / 4285
    How do I limit current effectively? —Phil
   I have 2 large motors that draw about 2 amps. They are powered by a battery that's 6v at 2amp. How can I limit the motors so that they can only draw 1/2 amp????? I know on my first robot (ahh, fine memories of burning resistors), I just made a bank (...) (26 years ago, 9-Aug-98, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

        RE: How do I limit current effectively? —Joe Martin
   National Semiconductor make an "LM317" 3 terminal adjustable regulator which can easily be used as a current limiter. I am not sure if the schematic for this particular application is included with the Data sheets so I'll add it here. Current (...) (26 years ago, 9-Aug-98, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

        Re: How do I limit current effectively? —Chuck McManis
   Why not use a 12ohm 10watt power resistor instead? --Chuck (...) (26 years ago, 10-Aug-98, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

        RE: How do I limit current effectively? —Joe Martin
   That may be fine, I'm not really very well versed electronically but when doing something similar I had worried that a resistor would reduce the voltage. That might be ok in this situation. Joe Martin (...) (26 years ago, 10-Aug-98, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)