 Robotics / Handy Board / 4291
RE: How do I limit current effectively?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 03:38:48 GMT

That may be fine, I'm not really very well versed electronically but when
doing something similar I had worried that a resistor would reduce the
voltage. That might be ok in this situation.

Joe Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuck McManis [mailto:cmcmanis@freegate.com]
Sent: Monday, 10 August 1998 12:12
To: Joe Martin
Cc: handyboard@media.mit.edu
Subject: Re: How do I limit current effectively?

Why not use a 12ohm 10watt power resistor instead?
--Chuck

Joe Martin wrote:

National Semiconductor make an "LM317" 3 terminal adjustable • regulator which
can easily be used as a current limiter. I am not sure if the • schematic for
this particular application is included with the Data sheets so • I'll add it
here.

Current Limiter

Vin       |LM317|___/\/\/\_________Iout

Iout = 1.25/R1 where I is the output amperage

Joe Martin