 Robotics / Handy Board / 3994
Re: Hot Wire Anemometers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 21:14:36 GMT

At 12:35 PM 6/17/98 -0700, you wrote:

I'll have to check this out.  We havn't actually used hot-wire-anemometers
recently, partly because we havn't had the need, and partly because
vortex-shedding flowmeters are all the rage right now.  My memory is they
are not linear, but that the curve is second order and easy to handle.
Temperature, density, and heat content of the medium are a big problem, but
if these don't vary much...
They ARE small. And fragile.  I replaced one once by crushing a flashlight
bulb, recovering the filament mount and soldering the platinum wire in place
of the filament.  Under a microscope.  Don't sneeze.

BTW, what is "the MAS on the Talon"?  What is the Talon?

Mass airflow sensor on a Eagle Talon/Mitsubish Eclipse/Plymouth Laser.
Hmm..it sounds like it might be a lot more work to actually get something
like this to work reliably in a car where all of the above can vary by a
great amount.

-Paul