 Robotics / Handy Board / 3993
RE: Cheap air flow sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 19:29:39 GMT

At 09:19 PM 6/16/98 -0400, you wrote:

Do you happen to know if those changes are linear? Something like this
would make a cool replacement for the MAS on the Talon. It uses a series of
honeycombs (that form little diamond shapes). Then it measures the number
of spinning vortices coming off the honeycomb (via ultrasound) -it's called
the Karmen-???? phenomenon. It's also a pretty restrictive piece of the
intake path.

A cylinder with one of these platinum wires crossing it (along w/the
extra sensors needed) with a PIC as the glue would really be slick, as long
as the mapping (or math) to do something useful with it wasn't to hairy.

-Paul

I'll have to check this out.  We havn't actually used hot-wire-anemometers
recently, partly because we havn't had the need, and partly because
vortex-shedding flowmeters are all the rage right now.  My memory is they
are not linear, but that the curve is second order and easy to handle.
Temperature, density, and heat content of the medium are a big problem, but
if these don't vary much...
They ARE small. And fragile.  I replaced one once by crushing a flashlight
bulb, recovering the filament mount and soldering the platinum wire in place
of the filament.  Under a microscope.  Don't sneeze.

Brett Anthony
Research Technician
School of Engineering and Computer Science
California State University, Sacramento

e-mail: anthonyb@ecs.csus.edu
phone: (916)278-6253
fax: (916)278-5949