 Robotics / Handy Board / 3939
Re: Question about Sharp IR demodulators
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 01:41:44 GMT

I had a similar experience, except that all my IR demodulators were
from Radio Shack; two were some I'd gotten in a "grab bag" quite a few
years ago, and the others were brand new.  The original one reacted to
40KHz the way you describe yours doing - whenever it "sees" 40KHz, the
output goes active.  On the new ones that I had, though, the behavior
was more like what you describe for the ISU160; they go active when
they first see 40KHz, but then they quickly go inactive again, until
you pulse the 40KHz.  I ended up modulating the transmitter at 200Hz
and putting a 567 tone-decoder set up to look for 200Hz on the output.
Perhaps you could do something similar?  The 40KHz is just a carrier,
and is modulated by the 200Hz signal.  The IR demodulator strips out
the 40KHz, leaving just the original 200Hz modulation at its output.
At least one person tried to convice me I was crazy, but I swear that
Radio Shack's detectors have changed over the years, even though they
sell them under the same RS part number.  The case style, as well as
the markings of the devices themselves, have changed slightly; I have
ot believe the characteristics have as well...

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:13:13 -0500 (CDT),  "Paul E. Rybski"