 Robotics / Handy Board / 3937
3936  |  3938
Subject:
Question about Sharp IR demodulators
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 19:13:13 GMT

Hi everyone,
First, sorry for the blank message just now -- hit the send
button instead of the cancel.

I'm working on a project where I've got robots hunting targets
equipped with a 40 kHz oscillator circuit which is continuously pulsing
an IR LED. I was using the Sharp GP1U52 IR demodulator, which is the one
that you can get from Radio Shack (the alumimum box version).  We were
able to get a very strong signal from this component.  However, when we
switched to the IS1U60 IR demodulator (the one that you get with the
Handyboard from Gleason--the little green one), we found that we could
only get a signal when we first turned on the 40 kHz transmitter.  If the
transmitter continuously bathed the IS1U60 in 40 kHz light, the receiver
returned nothing.  If we switched the transmitter on and off, we got a
single pulse from the receiver whenever power was applied.

So... it seems that the IS1U60 is designed to receive IR pulses
in a communications mode like from a VCR remote or another handyboard.
It does not seem to respond to continuous transmission.  Has anybody else
had this problem?  It's a whole lot easier to obtain the IS1U60s instead
of the GP1U52s (Radio Shacks only stock 2 or 3 at a time!) and it seems
that the GP1U52 is the only way to go.

Help!

Thanks...

-Paul