 Robotics / Handy Board / 376
375  |  377
Subject:
excessive motor current?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 02:24:34 GMT

I just managed to convert a Cat D10 toy into a robot.  In doing so,
I've converted the power source for its motors from Alkaline to NiCads.  One
thing I've noticed is that the NiCads make the robot seem A LOT more
powerful.  I measured the current going through the motors, and sure enough,
it's a bit more than with the alkalines, due to internal resistance, I
assume?  The motors seem pretty happy when the robot is running around, but
when they manage to get stalled, they each draw something like 1.5 amps!
This is a pretty large amount of current for them.  I'm curious as to what
the risks of damaging the motors are if they end up stalled for a prolonged
amount of time...  If the risks are rather high, then does anyone know of a
good way to protect them from this high stall current?  Perhaps a sensor
arrangement for the handy board?