 Robotics / Handy Board / 358
357  |  359
Subject:
pc com port woes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 22:09:44 GMT

Today, for the first time, I decided to actually try out the new
version of IC on my new Pentium, running Win 95.  To make a long story
short, it doesn't work.  Why?  Because I've got two devices, my mouse and my
internal modem, which are always connected at the same time.  What does this
mean?  It means that IRQ 3 and 4 are both always in use.  The problem arises
when I try to use my _external_ COM port, COM3.  Simply, it doesn't work,
because the IRQ it needs is already in use by either the modem or my mouse.
This is no doubt a _really annoying problem._

My question is - is there any ways around this?  I'm not very
familiar with the PC, hardware wise, other than knowing that the whole IRQ
scheme is horrible.  Is there any way I can gain the use of my second
external COM port without losing my modem or mouse?  Or am I going to have
to give up IC 3.1 and stick with the freeware version?  (Sigh...)