 Robotics / Handy Board / 357
Re: Using low voltage motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 22:14:01 GMT

In your message you said:

I'm using two low voltage motors that come attached to a really cool gear
box.  Or rather I want to use these motors.

Each seems to work best at about 2.0 V. When running they draw about
200 mA. I tried running them in series with a 40 Ohm resistor to drop the
voltage from the 20V range to the 2V range with no luck.  Will a simple
voltage divider not work here?

What do you mean, "from the 20V range"?  the HB supplies about 8 to 9v
to its motor outs.

a 30 ohm resistor would be about right for the 200mA current level.
The resistor would drop 6v leaving about 2 for the motors.  You would
need a 1.2 watt resistor to handle this (P = VI, where V = 6v and I =
0.2A).

please be more specific as to "no luck".

the resistor hack is only reasonable because you have low current
motors.

did you try running the motors straight off of the HB outputs but
using a power step of 1/8 or 1/4?

Finally, see the hardware hack to use a separate motor supply at
http://el.www.media.mit.edu/groups/el/projects/handy-board/faq.htm.

-Fred