 Robotics / Handy Board / 3510
Re: 68HC11 register locations?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 16:39:20 GMT

Mike Vande Weghe wrote:

I'm writing an assembly routine under IC on the
Handy Board, but I'm
getting a little confused about the memory
locations of the 68HC11
registers.  The Motorola manual shows that the
registers associated with
the input and output timers are in the $1000
range....

The correct actual addresses are indeed all in the
$10xx range.  When you index off either the X or Y
register, the offset value is only 8 bits, or 0 to
$FF.  This is why you're getting the warning
messages, the high order $1000 is being ignored.

You do not have to use the indexed method to
address the registers, these are all equivilent:

        LDA    #$1020
and
        LDX    #$1000
        LDA    $20,X
and
        LDX    #$1000
        LDA    $1020,X    <--- gives warning, high
order $1000 ignored.

The equates allow you to use either direct or
indexed addressing to get at the registers.  The
only reason for using the indexed method is to
save 1 byte on each such instruction.

/Max