 Robotics / Handy Board / 3511
Re: 7.2V vs 8.4V (fwd)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 19:34:12 GMT

Wait!

Sorry, I was confused!  I thought the HB originally battery was 7.2V.
Silly me.  :-/    Why didn't anyone correct me???

Well, you kinda caused the confusion though.
You mean 7.2V vs. 9.6V?
or 8.4V vs. 9.6V?
...cuz 9.6V is the original eight 1.2V NiCd's in series.

Anyway, these are all lower that 9.6V. So, the answer is...
It may be kinda risky to do because... If the HB draws too much current or
the battery has been drained a little, the voltage will drop and the HB's
voltage regulator will drop bellow the threshold voltage and this will
reset the microprocessor.  Your 7.2V or 8.4V may work in the very
begginning of your battery life cycle, but you won't be able to last long.
The other hand is if you use an "infinite" power supply, you may be
able to get away with it.  But then you have to have a wire to your HB all
the time...or a really HUGE battery.  :)

ericson mar
Master of Engineering Candidate
Project: Mobile Robotics
mar@cooper.edu
(212)353-4356

Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art

The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art