 Robotics / Handy Board / 3340
3339  |  3341
Subject:
Sonar Multiplexor Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 15:58:05 GMT

To anyone on the list:

I would like to drive 3-4 transducers from a single Polaroid
sonar ranging unit.  Adam Cox posted a circuit for doing this
on the HandyBoard page -- I have a few questions regarding
this and possible alternative solutions.

Has anyone implemented this or some other sonar multiplexor
on the HandyBoard?  Any feedback?

Also, in Adam Cox's solution, there is a note to the effect
that, to avoid damage to the Ranging Unit, a single transducer
must always be switched into the circuit.  Does this mean that,
while transitioning between transducers, that two transducers
will be switched into the circuit (if only for a brief moment)?

Also, if I read this correctly, Adam Cox's solution will take
four additional digital outputs (in addition to two already
needed to interface the HandyBoard to the Polaroid ranging
unit).  It looks like a prerequisite for implementing this
solution will be to expand the # of HandyBoard digital outputs.

Does anyone have a sonar-multiplexor solution that doesn't
take up so many additional digital outputs?

Any suggestions or feedback will be greatly appreciated.

The URL for the multiplexor is:
http://lcs.www.media.mit.edu/groups/el/Projects/handy-board/software/contrib/adam/mxducr1.gif

Thank you!
Stephen Michael