 Robotics / Handy Board / 3343
Re: Sonar Multiplexor Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 00:03:55 GMT

You get 4 SPI output digital ports in the HB. Read the section in the FAQ
about the HB's digital outputs. These 4 can be used to select your
transducer.

You can pull one motor driver chip and get 2 more digital outputs. Kent
has routines that uses these two outputs to drive the Polaroid Sonar.

If I remeber correctly, Adam Cox has done just this to get 4 sonars
working with the HB!

About the damage thing...the damage is done when you connect NO sonar to
the ranger. Also, the ranger can be damaged only when it tries to FIRE a
transducer when there is none connected to it. Thus, the brief moment
you're talking about will expire prior to your attempt to fire the
transducer anyway.

In addition, I don't beleive anyone has yet reported that they damaged
their ranger this way. If anyone has believed they damaged their ranger by
not connecting a transducer to it, please correct me.

ericson mar
Master of Engineering Candidate
Project: Mobile Robotics
mar@cooper.edu
(212)353-4356

Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art