 Robotics / Handy Board / 313
RE: Ultrasound Range-Finding
Newsgroups:
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 21:36:41 GMT

--Chuck

----------
From: Sean Cunningham[SMTP:sean@alice.msiconsulting.com]
Sent: Monday, April 15, 1996 12:22 PM
To: Chuck McManis
Cc: handyboard@media.mit.edu
Subject: RE: Ultrasound Range-Finding

At 12:13 PM 4/15/96 -0700, you wrote:

I have my Polaroid Sonar connected and running.  It seems to work
perfectly.  There is no additional circuitry required.  In fact it works
so well, I am probably not going to install the IR system, at this time.

For which I have only one comment, "Curtains". Yes, IR can see curtains,
ultrasonics cannot.

Don't most IR sensors have a limited useful range, though?  I understood
that it was difficult to get more than 2-3 inches from an IR sensor - can
they be made long-range sensitive?

Sean R. Cunningham
MSI Consulting Group
http://www.msiconsulting.com/