 Robotics / Handy Board / 2974
Re: Microphone and Heat Sensors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 20:57:04 GMT

On 11/12/97, Melissa Pezzuti wrote:

My task involves the robot sensing a "doorbell" and moving towards the
sound.  I will need to use microphones to accomplish this and I am
wondering if anyone knows how I would use these with the handy board.

Interesting sounding project Melissa. The trick is to distinguish the
doorbell from other ambient sounds heard picked up by the microphone.

One approach might be to use the LM567 PLL Frequency Detector. Its a
relatively simple little 8 pin IC to use. Based on the
resistor/capacitor value chosen, the detector can be adjusted to respond
to a audible frequency generated by the doorbell. The output could drive
a HB input.

The microphone could be coupled to an op amp and adjusted for
sensitivity, then the output fed to the 567. Hope this helps!

Terry King
Terry.King@fmr.com