 Robotics / Handy Board / 2953
Re: Shaft Encoders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 1997 15:32:20 GMT

From dakott Thu Nov  6 06:23:12 1997

We are interested in connecting two shaft encoders to the wheels of our
Handy Board - controlled mobile robot and use the ICW encoder instructions.

Does anyone know of a good source of encoders?  Is there anyone willing to
share your experience with the Handy Board and encoders?

We used the line of "S1" optical encoders from US Digital Corp.
(http://www.usdigital.com) and found them to work superbly.  The encoders are
light (~.07 lb) and small (~1.7" x 1.3").  The company is a "Value Added
Retailer" and adds housings/bearings/whathaveyou to the well known
Hewlett-Packard HEDS modules.  This is the specific part I ordered:
S1-512-B
Which gives me a 512 cycle/rev. precision (they offer them in many different
resolutions) w/ a ball bearing shaft.  The final price as shipped was around
$57.00 US.  They worked great w/ the encoder routines supplied w/ the IC 2.81
Handy Board Pcode.
     I didn't actually use the full quadrature output.. just one of the
channels, but I chose the primary resolution accordingly.
     We were using them to supply some closed loop feedback for an AGV
speed control system and odometer.  I don't have any hard numbers for how
"fast" you can spin the 512's buuuuuuuuuuut... I had a 5/8" coupler that was
running on the ground at about 15 MPH.. which translates into

15 mph * 88 fps * 1/ 60 mph * 12 ipf * 8/5 rev. per inch  * 512 Hz/rev = 92 KHz

Pretty good update time on the HB... I haven't looked THAT deeply into the
Pcode, but, at an interrupt rate of 1000Hz, and an 8 bit Pulse Accumulator
minus some (reasonable?) overhead.. you get around 200 K counts/second.

I *think* I *may* have gotten the link out of "Norms Industrial Electronics
Website" at http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/ndyrvik/nieencod.htm.  In *any* case..
this particular website had 20 or so links to rotory encoder manufacturers and
was the 2nd or 3rd "hit" on a search at eXcite.com under "rotary encoders"
*shrug*.. sorry for the ambiquity there... :-}.

Don't forget to order cables.. or at least connectors.. high(ish) speed digital
connections are finicky.

                                                        -d