 Robotics / Handy Board / 2948
  Re: Burning hot motor driver chips.

Anthony can correct me if I'm wrong, but generally the phrase "converting an R/C car" means, taking a Radio Controlled model car, modifying and/or removing the radio receiver and motor driver circuitry, and replacing it with a computer. The generic (...) (27 years ago, 1-Oct-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Burning hot motor driver chips.

After not doing anything with my HB for a few months, I decided to buy a cheap RC car and use it as a platform. Anyway, I get a car that takes 6 AA batteries because I figure that the main motor is probably 9v (maybe that was a faulty assumption). (...) (27 years ago, 9-Nov-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Burning hot motor driver chips.

Anthony, (...) Yes it sounds like it. (...) It does. The L293D still works after it cools off, doesn't it? (...) I suspect you are going to need more than just two piggy backed L293D. (...) You might have a look at Ben Wirz website, he sells various (...) (27 years ago, 9-Nov-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Burning hot motor driver chips.

Hello, RC car motors pull a lot of current, from 2A to 8A. The L293D chip goes up to 1A peak (for some miliseconds) before it shuts down. I suggest bypassing the L293D chips and using something like the LMD18200. (URL) Good luck, Marco A.A. de (...) (27 years ago, 10-Nov-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Burning hot motor driver chips.

Anthony, As you've no doubt heard, RC motors take much more current than the Handyboard can supply. To control RC motors your only choice is to create a separate H-bridge to drive the motors. You can do this fairly inexpensively with power (...) (27 years ago, 10-Nov-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Burning hot motor driver chips.

What does "RC" stand for anyway? I don't think it's Radio Control...is it? ---...--- ericson mar Master of Engineering Candidate Project: Mobile Robotics mar@cooper.edu (212)353-4356 Department of Mechanical Engineering The Cooper Union for the (...) (27 years ago, 10-Nov-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Burning hot motor driver chips.

(...) I believe that's correct: Radio Controlled devices, RC devices. Marco A.A. de Oliveira assfalk@eece.unm.edu ---...--- Autonom. Robotics (SMART) Project UNM/NASA ACE Center ---...--- (URL) ---...--- (...) (27 years ago, 11-Nov-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Burning hot motor driver chips.

So am I correct to assume that an RC motor had a built in RF reciever? ---...--- ericson mar Master of Engineering Candidate Project: Mobile Robotics mar@cooper.edu (212)353-4356 Department of Mechanical Engineering The Cooper Union for the (...) (27 years ago, 11-Nov-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Burning hot motor driver chips.

(...) Well, that's partially correct. The RC cars usually have a speed control/ steering module that incorporates the RF receiver. This module supplies PWM signals to the drive motor and also controls a steering servomotor. Marco A.A. de Oliveira (...) (27 years ago, 11-Nov-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Burning hot motor driver chips.

So I guess RC servos/motors are regular servo motors and DC motors that have been stripped from RC cars? Are they any diferent from regular servo/DC motors? If not, then why lable them as "RC"? Since the RF component isn't there anymore... :-/ (...) (27 years ago, 11-Nov-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)