 Robotics / Handy Board / 2800
2799  |  2801
Subject:
Hardware or software??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 02:38:35 GMT

Hello, all.  I've just gotten my handyboard from Gleason Research, and I am
totally ecstatic to have these awesome capabilities physically possible at
last.  Well, anyway, I have had a few problems.  First of all, IC (I have
the freeware version) is quite flaky (I think it's IC, is it the hardware?)
when it comes to keeping contact with the board and also having funky
errors (I know this IC's fault) such as "COMPILER ERROR!: -49152 extra
bytes left on board stack."  The following is a transcript of a normal
download of a file.  Is this normal???
C> load screen.c
Initializing interrupts
Downloading 2329 bytes (addresses 8000-8918):  Board not responding
Synchronizing with board
Board not responding
Synchronizing with board
Board not responding
Synchronizing with board
Board not responding
Synchronizing with board
2329 loaded
Board not responding
Synchronizing with board
Board not responding
Synchronizing with board
COMPILER ERROR!: -49152 extra bytes left on board stack
Globals initialized.

Are these problems solved in IC 3.0?  Are there any reasons NOT to upgrade
to IC 3?
Also, when I run "hbtest.c"'s testanalogs(), even though I have nothing
hooked up, the last number on the bottom row (I think it is analog 0) is
between 251 and 250, is this a manufacturing error that I should take up
with Gleason, or is it possible to work around this?   For my intended
application (robotics) I probably won't need all 7 inputs and could just
not use the problem, but I'd still like to know if there's something easy I
could do about it.
If when using a motor command, the motor immediately shuts off accompanied
by a flash of the BATT LED, is that just an emergency cut off if the motor
draws too much current? BTW, I'm just testing the HB for now, so I have no
load or gearbox on the motor, just letting it run freely.  I guess that's
about it for now, so I look forward to hearing back from youse guys.
Rob Bonstein