 Robotics / Handy Board / 253
Re: hooking up to R/C car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 1996 16:28:20 GMT

We've had success interfacing digital signals directly to the drive
circuitry that's already present on some R/C vehicles.  The problem you're
running into is that R/C motors just draw too much current for 293's.  (If
you look at the controller board that's inside the vehicle, you'll probably
see some beefy drivers with heat sinks.)

        There aren't any control electronics to this thing at all, really.
There's four switches on the control box, some wires going to the vehicle,
and four motor/gearbox combos in the machine that the wires supply power
to. No drivers, no heat sinks. Just motors, manual switches, and wires.
It's internal wiring is insanely simple.
        Although the hardware this approach requires doesn't live in the
machine, I could look into procuring appropriate circuiry with hookup specs
and working from there. Assuming that I can find one (at a hobby store,
maybe), I could try this approach as you've outlined, sending the signals
that would go to the L293's to the new IC's signal inputs, and having it
feed the motors from a more studly battery. This approach sounds fairly
starightforward and logical (more so, I think, than the op-amp idea).
Assuming that calls to a few local hobby shops turn up what I need, I'll
give this a try. Just one question- am I correct in my understanding that
I'd bypass the L293's altogeather and feed thier signals into the RC IC?

Thanks for your time,
Stan Hiller

I'm going to look into getting the RC IC's later today- but in case the
search doesn't pan out for some reason, I'd still be happy for more
suggestions for other approaches or comments about the two schemes outlined
in my original post.