 Robotics / Handy Board / 252
251  |  253
Subject:
hooking up to R/C car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 1996 15:32:58 GMT

        When I drive the motors from my HB, the L293D's get *very* hot (too
hot to touch) in a matter of seconds. From conversations with friends and
searching my mailing list archives, I've come up with two potential
solutions to this problem, and I'm hoping that someone can tell me which,
if either, will work; or suggest another way to go about keeping my motor
drivers from harm.

We've had success interfacing digital signals directly to the drive
circuitry that's already present on some R/C vehicles.  The problem you're
running into is that R/C motors just draw too much current for 293's.  (If
you look at the controller board that's inside the vehicle, you'll probably
see some beefy drivers with heat sinks.)

We found the correct interface wires by running the car and probing with a
voltmeter while we controlled the car in different directions (with the R/C
controller).  On a Nikko R/C car, we found a DIP chip that had all the
signals coming from it (it must have been the R/C decoder chip).  Once we
found the lines, we connected digital signals directly to it, and cut the
pins to the R/C controller chip so there wouldn't be any contention.

Hope this helps.  If your excavator happens to be made by Nikko and our
description seems familiar, let me know and I can send the wiring diagram
we use.

-- Randy