 Robotics / Handy Board / 2399
Re: voice synthesis
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 13:38:54 GMT

Has anyone been able to set up a voice synthesis circuit with their Handy
Board?  I remember that quite a few years ago, Radio Shack carried a pair
of voice synthesis chips that appeared easy to connect to an 8 bit data bus

[snip]

RC Systems, Inc. makes a low-cost ASCII to voice board that provides
far better performance than the now-discontinued General Instrument
speech chip set many are familiar with.  The RC Systems product is a
small board with a CPU and a custom English text to phoneme converter.
It accepts TTL level serial as input and includes an LM386 power
op-amp so you just hook a speaker to the board and it's ready to talk.
The board has a socket for an NV-RAM chip to serve as an exception
dictionary.  It also can generate DTMF codes and other musical
outputs.

All in all, it's a pretty awesome little board for US$150.  I don't
know of anything else like it on the market.

    RC Systems, Inc.
    1609 England Avenue
    Everett, WA 98203  USA
    phone: 206 355-3800
    fax:       355-1098

    UK/Europe dealer:  +4481 539 0285

Standard disclaimer applies:  I have no affiliation with RC Systems
other than having tried and liked their product.

       -Fred