 Robotics / Handy Board / 2128
2127  |  2129
Subject:
The HB is alive!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 12 May 1997 13:22:10 GMT

Hooray, my HandyBoard works!

My kit from DMSC came in on Friday, and I (a very non-hardware guy)
managed to assemble it, thanks to Fred Martin's handy assembly guide.

I did run into trouble during step 4.4.2 and 4.4.3 (testing/debugging
'serial line and stop switch').  While downloading to the board, the I/C
board's green LED flickered, but the HB's didn't.  Every other test up
to that point had been successful, and the dubugging hints there simply
say 'A lot of things could go wrong here... check your cables, etc.'.
Perhaps this debugging step could be improved by adding that if the I/C
board flickers, but the HB doesn't, to check the RJ11 pins on both boards
with a logic probe whilst downloading.  And if you don't see the
pulses, to check the output of the MAX232 chip.  As it turns out I had a bad
MAX232 chip.   It was either bad in the kit, or I managed to fry it.  (I
happened to have a spare lying around)

My only other complaint (very minor) was that the knob pot included
with the kit was not the 'handsome black dial' :-) in all the pictures
I've seen, but rather a tiny little pot requiring a tiny screwdriver to
turn.
Overall, DMSC's service was superb, and the kit arrived in three days
just like they said it would.  And they include the TI motor driver
chips, and a higher capacity NiCad pack.

But, hooray, it works now.  And boy is it handy! <grin>
-=Fred Cass=-