 Robotics / Handy Board / 2125
2124  |  2126
Subject:
Vector 2x almost working...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 12 May 1997 01:05:18 GMT

Thanks to everyone's responses on the first question I posted last week.  I
almost have it working.   :)

Heres the latest:  I am having problems interfacing the Vector 2x
electronic compass with the Handy Board.  I have successfully loaded Tom
Brusehaver's program and it does write to the HB LCD but the compass
position always reads 0.  I am guessing that my problem is related to
wiring.  I believe I have followed the provided schematic but I will state
what I have done.  All of the connections marked MB I have connected at
port J6 on the handy board schematic.  On the HB schematic one pin at J6 is
labeled SCK I  assumed that was the what Tom Brusehaver's schematic
referred to as CLK.  GND and VCC I have also connected to the +5v and Gnd
at J6.  P/C is wired directly to pin 2 of chip U11.  I did start out with a
much larger pull up resistor on the transistor inverter of EOC.  I started
with a 47k but eventually went down to a 690 just because I didn't have the
recommended 390 available.  Is such a low resistor really necessary?

The V2x application book states common sources of  problem of the output
always reading zero as follows.
1.  P/C is high before SS is taken low
2.  the host system does not have correct timing for reading the output.
Most often the Vector is not receiving 16(32 in RAW mode) complete clock
cycles to output the data .
3.  A sensor coil is broken and needs replaced.

Thanks again,
   Jenn