 Robotics / Handy Board / 2117
2116  |  2118
Subject:
RF transmitters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 8 May 1997 18:12:48 GMT

Seems like I remember reading in NUTS and VOLTS, or somewhere, about
Randy Sargent and his partners involved in a competiton, using a Radio
Shack AM transmitter on their robot. It gave details on how they
interfaced it. Sounded pretty simplistic. In retrospect, they commented
that they would convert to FM because of some interference problems.

Maybe someone else recalls reading about that. Or perhaps Randy could
comment.

Terry King
Terry.King@fmr.com

We did use 900 Mhz Radio Shack RF headphones (cat # 33-1145), which gave us
a reasonable analog transmission (the transmitter took L+R RCA audio in,
and the we connected in place of the speaker on the receiver).  We could
get 9600 baud through the connection, although since the connection was AC
coupled, we had to keep the "DC" content of our transmission pretty
constant.

On the receiver side, we just turned up the volume all the way, and put a
comparator on the output.

Keeping the "DC" content pretty much in the middle means we restricted
ourselves to sending bytes that had between 3 and 5 "1" bits set.
Surprisingly (to me), this still gave us 182 values per byte (out of the
original 256), and more suprisingly, meant that we had only a 6% loss of
bandwidth as compared to a channel with no restrictions (log base 2 of 256
is 8 bits, log base 2 of 182 is 7.5 bits)

As fun as the hacking was, I don't really recommend this approach.
Instead, we found that several folks were using modules from Radiometrix
(http://www.radiometrix.co.uk/).  Abacom has been advertising these in Nuts
and Volts and Circuit Cellar.  I went and the pages from Abacom's fax-back
service online back before Radiometrix got a web site:

http://www.newtonlabs.com/datasheets/abacom/:
Abacom's fax-back data for Radiometrix's radio transceivers

It includes a (possibly old) price sheet.

Reading the specs, it seems like you still need to do some encoding to keep
the DC in the middle to run at least some of these parts at their full
speed.  It's pretty easy, though, to construct a lookup table to do this.

-- Randy

Randy Sargent                        Newton Research Labs
Senior Design Engineer               Robotic Systems and Software
rsargent@newtonlabs.com              http://www.newtonlabs.com/